Saturday, September 18, 2010

Spray-On Fabric!

I came across this on notcot.org, and I'm feeling very old-fashioned. Back in my day, fabric was knit or woven, not sprayed on.



"Spray-on Fabric is a patented technology developed by Fabrican which involves the creation of a liquid suspension which is then sprayed by use of either a spray gun or an aerosol can. The fabric is formed by the cross-linking of fibres which adhere to create an instant non-woven fabric that can be easily sprayed on to any surface"

They're still researching and perfecting Fabrican, but what they have so far is pretty incredible. It was originally intended for use in fashion, but now they're thinking of all kinds of applications: spray-on nicotine patch, fly paper, cleaning wipes, upholstery, the possibilities are basically endless.










I'm not totally sure how I feel about this stuff, as I'm perfectly satisfied with that old-timey woven fabric, but it's pretty amazing. Kind of like spray on felt? I'd like to see+feel this stuff in person, and I totally want to spray a garment on someone. It looks much better in some photos than others, but they've been able to make some beautiful things, like this top:









Do you think this kind of technology will ever be commonly used? Are our kids going to be spraying on new clothes on the first day of school? I don't know, but I'm excited to see how this progresses. There are some videos you can watch on their website to see how they manage to make a dress come out of a can.

http://www.fabricanltd.com/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment